13 August 2006

stretchy and bendy

... and sore.

I went to my first prenatal Yoga class yesterday. Ow! It was hard. I realized that I haven't practiced Yoga for about four years - and no Pilates since January. No flexibility work (aside from the regular leg-stretching I do after the elliptical and post-water-ex stretches) for seven months. Hmmm.

The class was packed - maybe 20 women in various stages of pregnancy, from not showing at all to 39.5 weeks pregnant. It was pretty intense to be in that room with all that life. At one point, I thought "there are actually 40 people in this class". Wacky.

I thought I'd feel old, but some of the mothers were definitely older - in any case, the class wasn't filled with 24-year-olds. I got the sense that the majority of the women were having normal, low-risk pregnancies. It'd be nice to find a community of women who've had and overcome issues, but I'm guessing those women don't end up in prenatal Yoga (or water exercise) classes.

One big problem I had was with the breathing. My Pilates breathing (in through the nose, out through pursed lips) is so ingrained that I do it all the time (on the elliptical, when I lift weights, in the water exercise class, even on brisk walks). It was hard to switch gears and do Yoga breathing (nose only). Not to mention that one of the pregnancy side effects I'm experiencing is increased mucous production - when I put my head down, my nose fills with snot - making it difficult to breathe, eh?

So today, I am sore. My hammies, my shoulders, my pecs. Owie!

Observation of the week: pregnant women/partners measure their pregnancy in terms of weeks, non-pregnant people measure in terms of months. 26 weeks on Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home