07 August 2006

bed rest

So, right after I wrote that last post, I had my regular prenatal checkup with my doctor. All was going well, but then I mentioned this discharge (TMI) I'd experienced on Tues and again on Thurs. She assured me that it was probably nothing, but decided to do a test just to put our minds at ease. She said, if it comes back negative (and of course, it will), it's extremely unlikely that you'll go into labor in the next two weeks. But if it comes back positive, your plans for the weekend will change radically (there's a 13% chance of preterm labor).

As it so happens, we had a big weekend planned. First, the Mr's new company was having its summer "retreat" at Skamania, starting Friday night. Then, we planned to skip out early to see Pink Martini at the Zoo on Saturday night. So,
from the doctor appointment, we head out the gorge and mingle a bit at the retreat until the Mr's cell phone rings. It's another doctor in my doctor's practice. The test? Positive. She tells me to go to bed for the weekend and to call the office on Monday to schedule an ultrasound.

I freaked. I had very little data on what this meant. Did it mean bed rest until the baby is likely to thrive (32 weeks)? Did it mean preterm delivery was imminent? Yes, babies delivered at 25 weeks have a chance at survival, but not a very big one.

So, I spent the weekend in bed and on the couch, first in the hotel room, then home, getting progressively more freaked. Thinking about how much muscle mass I'll lose if I have to be bedridden for 7+ weeks. Thinking about how much we've already been through to get to this point. Thinking about all the people we've told about this pregnancy. Thinking about how I'll definitely lose my battle with depression if I can't exercise regularly.

Well, we just got back from the ultrasound. My cervix is long (very - the doc said it's the longest he's seen) and closed (no funnelling). The baby's fluid looks good and there's no indication of any kind of impending preterm labor.

I'm cleared for resuming regular activities and EXERCISE. Can I just say "whew!"?

1 Comments:

Blogger vj said...

OMG! Oh! That just scared the shit out of me reading it. If there's anything I can do, holler--you still have my number, right? I'm in the book.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home