30 July 2006

climate crisis

We (finally) saw An Inconvenient Truth last night. I realized that I've been resisting (too depressing, preaching to the choir, too far to drive, etc.) but it was time. And, it was hard. Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau, AlaskaAt one point, I got really really down (I think the drowning polar bears got to me). But, the movie ends on a hopeful note, with actual do-able things you can do to reduce your impact on the planet. Definitely worth seeing. (I wish they'd shown Gore taking the bus or on a bicycle, just once, though.)

It did make me very happy to have visited the glaciers before they melt completely (even if it wasn't the most efficient way to travel).


2 Comments:

Blogger LME said...

I haven't been able to bring myself to see this yet, but I just read that there's a book about it, so I'm thinking it's time to pick that up and give it a read.

7:50 AM  
Blogger lainb said...

I'm glad you were able to see it. I just wrote about it on my blog a few days ago, encouraging everyone to see it. It's scary stuff though. But isn't everything in our world scary these days?

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home