31 August 2006

pregnant lady routine

In the last week, I've received a bunch of compliments about how good I look. I guess at 28 weeks pregnant, I'm not looking tootoo huge. A couple of women at the gym said it's all in my tummy (which it's not, but I'm happy it looks that way). I've gained about 20lbs and hoping to keep it in check for the next 12 weeks. (12 weeks doesn't seem like a long time until I put it into "months" and then it seems like forever.)

My workout routine has evolved into:
Monday: AM weights (fairly light, 2 sets, 15-20 reps, superset opposing muscle groups)

PM prenatal water exercise (:55)
Tuesday: Elliptical (:30, HR around 130-135)
Wednesday: same as Monday
Thursday: rest - sleep in if possible
Friday: Same as Monday except no water exercise
Saturday: Prenatal Yoga (1:30)

I keep thinking I should be doing more cardio, but I'm just loathing the cardio machines at the gym right now (even with such entertaining audio books as Augusten Burroughs' latest to distract me, I watch the clock). When it's not too beastly hot, I try to get out and walk at lunch, but it's not the heart-pounding that I really think I should be getting.

Speaking of beastly hot, what's with the weather? We've had three weekends of 90+ degree heat followed by pleasant-to-downright-cold weather mid-week. For the first time in my life, I'm dreading the heat. I've always been a lizard, soaking up the rays (bad for a fair-skinned, freckly person, I know). Now, I can't stand being out in the sun (My skin feels like it's getting crispy in minutes). The heat makes me feel sluggish and slow. So, why can't we have the 90+ weather during the week when I can escape to airconditioned comfort? (We have air at home, but the Mr is reluctant to turn it on, since he's not affected by the heat. Or something.)

My checkup yesterday was good. Fundus measurement on target (I consistently measure 4cm big, which the doc attributes to the fibroids rather than a monstrously large baby). Blood pressure: 108/70, so no immediate concerns there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Hi - Congrats on the pregnancy! I haven't read for awhile and I'm just getting caught up!!

I just got back from my Alaskan cruise last week - a bit rainier than your trip, but still unbelieveable. Glaciers are amazing.

Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Shannin said...

I have never been able to read and do cardio. I almost get motion sickness. It's weird... Congrats on doing so well with the weight gain. That's awesone!

6:29 PM  
Blogger velo girl said...

laura - isn't AK amazing? did you do glacier bay?
shannin - I'm the same way - I listen to audiobooks exclusively.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home